Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Photoshop Phriends - 5 Artists Proficient with Photoshop

ALBERTO SEVESO
An artist who focuses primarily on the human figure, Seveso uses the tools of Photoshop to manipulate the shape of the body and the spaces around it. He often uses many atmospheric aura-type masses in an around heads, such as the image below, but also uses geometric patterning and hard edges to give people more of a robotic feel. Some of his other works use photographs of colored ink underwater which he also manipulates in PS. 
The image below is the first of his work and immediately drew me in because of the galactic feel of the mass coming from her head. If I am not mistaken, the mass is pulled from one of his ink photographs. While this woman is apparently more calm, many of his figures are full of energy, tension, and emotion, which is also something that is interesting to me. I like the idea of manipulating the person and relating them to the universe or other divine elements, which is why the photo drew me immediately. 


CHRISTOPHE HUET
Huet's work may just be the turning point for me in terms of enjoying digital art. I have always respected and enjoyed viewing it, but as far as application goes and doing it myself, I never was particularly drawn to it.
Huet's work can be so surreal without losing the sense of reality or believability, sometimes. Other times, Huet completely manipulates the human or animal figure and creates scenes and scenarios that are engaging and strange. I enjoy most when he keeps the human figure normal but brings in other elements to the show, like enlarging other characters or props and playing with scale and color. Some ideas that are presented are very relatable and effective, such as the office scene to the right; we get a sense of chaos and confusion and stress, much of which is felt in the viewer I would really like to peek at his sketchbooks to find references, influences, and to learn about his way of thinking. 


ANDY JONES
Andrew (Andy) Jones deals with highly conceptual and psychedelic art. I found one of my favorite photos (see below) of all time, just in general, and had no idea it was his! This work, as well as Huet's work, really are inspiring to me because of their nature in separate ways. Jones's work focuses more on atmospheric energy, movement, and extremely vibrant colors with varied levels of saturation and layers. It is almost like his work is a combination of Seveso and Huet, using the human figure as a base but incorporating surreal elements. Most of his work includes people, some animals, and a lot is just atmospheric space. The metaphysical aspect that is evident in some of his work is what really turns my crank. He has a visionary style that I absolutely adore and would like to try to put into my sculpture work and paintings. I would like to know where he references and pulls from for his ideas. 


LEAH MCNEIR
Another artist whose work is influenced by and incorporates psychedelic art, McNeir's work focuses on fractal imagery, ratios, mathematics, relationships, and energy. Her style is very similar to that of Jones, but uses less of the human figure in her work and relies more on the geometry of patterns and shapes and tends to draw connections between each, much like connecting the dots. This work is most impactful to me in that since I started the Geometry in the Arts course, I have yearned to include this kind of patterning and referencing in my ceramic and painting work. I am also in a very serious relationship and really enjoy, understand, and appreciate work that pertains to love. McNeir is one of my favorites. 


DANNY VAN RYSWYK
This work is much different from the work of the other four artists listed here. Rather than having playful concepts that come through or colors and patterns that take the eye around, Ryswyk's work focuses more on individual figures in a black and white picture frame who sport scary mutations, growths, contortions, and intense glares. The photos give off an historic feeling, like aged photos from an old science experiment gone wrong. These captured my attention because of their unique nature and historic feel. I am not necessarily attracted to them, but I do enjoy them because they get my thinking and get me to look at something that I would not normally observe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment